What health benefits you will get by eating pomegranate?
- Extremely high antioxidant activity: Lets start with 2 active components of pomegranate: Punicalagins (are extremely powerful antioxidants found in the juice and peel of a pomegranate) and Punicic acid, (also known as pomegranate seed oil, is the main fatty acid in the seeds arils. The antioxidant activity of pomegranate juices was evaluated and compared to those of red wine and a green tea infusion- and guess what? It showed an antioxidant activity three times higher than those of red wine and green tea. Pomegranate extract and powder is typically made from the peel, due to its high antioxidant and punicalagin content.
- Blood and heart diseases prevention: Regular intake of pomegranate juice can maintain good flow of the blood in the body. Pomegranate juice is under research for affecting heart disease risk factors. It prevent the atherosclerosis (Researchers found that pomegranate juice prevent hardening of the arteries).
- Cancer prevention thanks to high doze of antioxidants (flavonoids). Flavonoids are known to be effective in counteracting various cancer radials. Study shows that “phytochemicals in plants may have cancer preventive benefits through antioxidation and via gene-nutrient interactions”. There are active ongoing research on the health benefits of pomegranate, which shows that “regular consumption of pomegranates can reduce the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels in the body and aid in the fight against existing cancer cells in the body”.
- Anti-inflammatory effect: Punicalagins which are the major component responsible for pomegranate juice’s antioxidant activity helps to reduce chronic inflammation in the body (cells). Chronic inflammation is one of the leading drivers of many diseases (cancers, heart disease, Alzheimer, etc.)
- Boosting immunology: Rich in vitamin C and other vitamins and minerals will help you to maintain a healthy immune system through antibody production and wil keep you away of common illnesses and infections (cold, flu, etc). Being rich in anti-inflammatory compounds, pomegranates will help those fighting immune-related disorders like rheumatoid arthritis.