Shiva's Messenger

The Haunted Battlefield

Just after I wrote my first novel, Shiva’s Messenger, I contracted to have several thousand of the books printed in Nashville, Tennessee. After talking with the printer, I believed I would have the weekend to myself. Being a Civil War buff, I thought this would be an ideal time to visit Gettysburg and I began to drive in that direction.

12-pounder_napoleon_cannon_at_stones_river_national_battlefieldBut then my cellphone rang. It turned out my books would be finished later that day. At about that moment, I passed a sign for the Stone River National Battleground. How perfectly timed? I wheeled around to visit the site ov this Civil War battle that was fought near the town of Murfreesboro between Union Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans’s Army of the Cumberland and General Braxton Bragg’s Army of Tennessee.

My intent here is not to cover much of the battle itself: there are plenty of sites where you can find that. Instead, I’ll talk about an extremely freaky thing that happened to me while I was there.

I parked my truck and entered the park.  It was quiet because it was a weekday afternoon.  I wandered around a bit, looking at this and that, until I arrives at a cannon overlooking a graveyard.  And that’s when it happened.

Suddenly I was no longer in the modern day moment.  Instead, I was back in the middle of the battle.  Troops were coming out from the tree line and I was firing on them with my canon crew.  It was so very real.  It was as if I were actually there and fighting.

efi929After a time: I couldn’t begin to tell you how long it was: I was shot and killed.  But I saw who murdered me and it was one of my own troops.  It wasn’t ‘friendly fire’ either.  He shot me when in the confusion of battle, he could get away with it.

So now here are my thoughts on this event both in the present day and in the past.  Either I was that soldier shot in a past life, or the ghost of that soldier is haunting the park to this day and forcing people to experience his untimely demise.  I don’t know but I strongly suspect it was the first.  That’s why events conspired together to take me there.

Anyways, back to this particular event.  When I came to my senses again, several hours had passed and I was nearly locked into the park overnight – that would’ve totally freaked me out.  I drove back to Nashville.

I don’t actually have an appropriate blog to put this post into yet.  We’ll call it North American Travelog until I create a more appropriate spot for it.

, , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *